Thursday, November 27, 2014

Alcohol Slumber into the Night

There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it.” Matthew 27:34

Why do I not drink? Mostly because I do not like the taste, and I do not like the looming feeling of depressed brain function. Also, by withholding, I am allowed to enlighten others about the social injustices that are rampant due alcohol. It is not the alcohol that brings about destruction to society, but alcohol is a mediator for unwelcome circumstances.  

Another reason is to give others the opportunity to talk about my belief. Jesus at the cross refused to drink wine mixed with gall, which was supposedly for hydration and anesthetic purposes (referenced here if you are interested). I took it as Jesus’ desire to be fully conscious of what he was doing, his crucifixion.

I, too, wish to be fully aware of every second of God’s will being done here on earth. Perhaps so that in the end, I will not watch God pass by “like a thief in the night” (1 Thessalonians 5:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment