Sunday, November 2, 2014

Doctors and Soul Doctors

“You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.” Revelation 5:10

Due my stupidity, I took the TOEFL test today. I knew I should have scheduled it for a Saturday, but because I wanted to get it done and have it out of the way, I could not help but schedule it this day. When I tried to change the test date later, I had to pay more, which seemed like an even worse option, so I simply went and charged on through the test. After a little less than three hours, I was out of there and headed straight to church. I arrived awfully late, but, luckily, I was able to catch the latter half of the sermon.

The room was quite full, and I slipped into one of the chairs way in the back. Mind you, I was focused on the message, but I had this out of body experience where I saw myself pulling further back from everybody. I was seeing a mass of people sitting in a room, and I suddenly realized that I would soon be in charge of the health of these people.

OECD holds that the average number of doctors for 1,000 people is 3. Thus, roughly, I would be responsible for the well-being of 333 people (In Korea, the number is 2, which makes me soon responsible for nearly 500 people!)  I wanted to do well. I wanted to become a better student to become a better doctor.

My mind soon came back, and another realization came. For every 7,271,697,624 people in the world, 2,184,060,000 of Christians are responsible for the well-being of their souls. I was responsible for the souls of 3 people. Of course there would be variations, but on average, this is how many people I should be praying for. This was my lot, and I knew I was not doing my job well.

I am not sure if we were so called to change the world too much. Maybe saving one soul is pretty much all God had wanted from us? Who are you responsible for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment