Thursday, November 20, 2014

Slavish Fear, Reverent Fear

“Moses said to the people, ‘Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.’” Exodus 20:20

I definitely have trouble with authority. When I say trouble, I don’t really mean that I will go out of my way to avoid it, but it definitely brings some discomfort. Naturally, when I read passages such as these, my mind becomes a bit more alert. As it was the weekend, I had more time to research into the passage. I know it is easy to pass by, but if you read the passage carefully, it really makes no sense. Moses says “do not fear” yet the “fear of God” is to keep from sinning.

I wanted to find the actual Hebrew words for “fear” used in the two instances, but, wow, Hebrew is amazingly difficult. I did find a commentary that extinguished my curiosity to a point where I can actually move on to do other tasks of the day. It explained the former “fear” signifies that of a slavish fear, the fear of harm and terror. The latter “fear” is that of a reverence of the Divine.

I noticed that I am fearful of those with authority. I fear that I may be banished from my position. I fear that I may be rejected, or harmed. I fear that pain may be afflicted on me. From such fear, I can easily see myself obeying the law of God. I see myself hesitant to sin from such a fear (notice I said “hesitant”).

Nonetheless, I really do not believe that God just wants obeying people out of this slavish fear. The Bible speaks of loving relationships, a walk together, and being in constant terror seems no way near the image mentioned. How then can this irony be mended?

Perhaps it was from all the experiences I had with former authorities that led me to be fearful, the slavish way. Although I am strong in that there were many instances of grace beset upon me, I do remember the times when no forgiveness or grace was given to me from my times of fall. The authorities would punish me, and I would be left alone to look back. That moment of isolation seemed to have been hard on me. I know those times will probably come yet again someday, but I now know better not to attribute such dealings to God.

I believe the difference between slavish fear and reverent fear is in that isolation. I believe that slavish fear is from recognition that I will be isolated in my shortcomings. Reverent fear holds that I will never be left alone.

Hopefully, someday, I will be someone in authority, exercising reverent fear, rather the slavish fear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment