Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Trauma for Isaac?

The first time I read the story of Abraham and his obedience portrayed through his journey to sacrifice his son, I could not stop thinking about what Isaac had felt.

"When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son." Genesis 22:9-10

Now, for those unfamiliar with the story, God stopped Abraham and prepared for him a ram for sacrifice. Some of you may say that this is still ridiculous, but I am no professional in this field and I'm not writing this to debate on grounds of the goodness of God. What I wanted to point out was what Isaac would have been thinking all along. If it were for me, I definitely would have been screaming my lungs out. Taking one step further, I do not think this incident on the altar would have been the worst. I think the worst part of it all would have been the fact that Isaac still had to live with his father who tried to kill him. Talk about daily nightmares.

Yet, the Bible never mentions how Isaac coped with it all. It never talks about whether or not Isaac developed psychological issues. Then, I thought about authority: authority of God to Abraham, authority of Abraham to Isaac. Nowadays, authority seemed to have taken on a negative connotation. Those in power such as politicians, policemen, or just wealthy individuals are called the "man" and have become a hated figure. "Overthrow the system," "be free," "rebel," et cetera... As I compared my childhood days in Korea to what it is now, authority and respect have indeed thinned. The elders are not as respected and the teenage rebellious spirit seems to be higher than what I had experienced. Would authority have been such a great issue back in the days of the Bible? Did Isaac know who he was and what authority his father had? Further, what authority God had? If Isaac knew fully who God was and how God had complete control of his life through the hands of Abraham, he would not have been scared. He would have been silently obedient on the altar. Another breath I take had been given by God. If I truly knew how my life was in His hands, would I dare say a word when He decides to take it away?

No comments:

Post a Comment