Thursday, February 23, 2012

On Poverty

I was going through old files on my computer and I came across some notes I took last summer. They were mostly about the book I read, Hunger for Significance by R.C. Sproul. As from the title, I thought the book would be about the selfishness of the human mind and the desire for fame. It, however, focused more on people's inherent desire for recognition as a fellow human being. Interestingly enough, I was listening to a sermon that focused on justice and the awareness of needs around the world. It seemed to me a majority of charity groups up until now simply provided resources. Recently, there has growing shifts in the movement where sustainability is of more importance. Issues being set by the UN focuses on sustainability. Engineering principles have been putting emphasis on green design. Design for the Other 90% and such movements have provided ways for those in need to experience the joy of getting rewarded from hard work. In the specific sermon I heard, it suggested that whenever we think poverty, we think about the lack of ability to survive, but this is a gross misrepresentation of the reality, for true poverty encompasses the lack of thriving as well. Maybe it's time we actually put into action the old saying on teaching how to fish, rather than giving it.

*I wanted to point out the sermon that I listened to since I feel like I copied what the pastor said exactly. The sermon was from Blackhawk Church, one I attended when living in Madison. Here's the link if you want to hear about what he pastor was actually saying and the book where he got insight on the issue. Justice and Poverty: March 20,2011

No comments:

Post a Comment