Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Gatekeeper

This barren land, wretched and foul, spread vastly upon me. What few vultures that roamed around have become a rare sight. Scorched to hold no life, the ground lay still. Yet, this place had a wall, even a gate. The walls stood tall, at least five stories. I had never climbed the stairs, but no one bothered to attack these grounds anyways. Watchtowers, beacons, remains of heavy artillery, were all simply rusting away. At the center, old stone doors creak as to speak on behalf of the hinges that had seen many years. The gates were rather sturdy, but the engravings seemed to have faded. I did not care much for it.

I had been in charge of guarding the grounds for quite some time, but, honestly, I knew very little of it. My father had been in charge before me, and my grandfather, and my ancestors and on. I knew that I had to one day take my father’s place, but time came earlier than expected. Despite my best appeal, I had to leave my young ambitions aside to watch over this area. I could still taste the bitterness, this dead end desert. I did not blame my father, though. He woke up one night with pain in his left hip. He tried to work by using a walking stick, but I guess all was too much for him to bear anymore.

I had only visited my father working here once as a child. He was very proud of what he was doing, though it did not seem like much work at all. He opened the gates to the walls at sunrise. At sunset, he closed it. This was all that he did. This was all that I was to do. When the sun was up, I would sit in the sentry box. At night, I would head to the barrack at the corner of the wall.

The local merchant would bring me supplies for a week or two, mostly dried non-perishables. Once in a while, I would get letters as well. Family came to visit occasionally. Friends, they used to, but less so as they had their own lives to live. Also, once a year, an official would come by and wander around as if looking for something. He would soon leave without saying much.

Sunrise. Sunset. Waking up. Sleeping. Each day would come and go. People would come and go. Days began to blur, and I could not tell if it was yesterday, today or tomorrow. The mornings became annoying. The evenings were just about the same. Everything about this place started to bother me, so I decided to leave.

I left the gates closed, and headed to the nearest town. I planned to relax for about a week or so. I was not too interested in the booze and the women. I just wanted to enjoy a fresh meal and good company. A few days past, and I was minding my own business only to hear about news of small disasters around town. There was news about incidents of crops dying and petty thieveries. Just yesterday, an old building crumbled. Luckily no one was hurt. There seemed to be a rise in some disease. The doctors were sure busy. Honestly, I think I heard about news of war brimming as well. I could tell the town was no longer going to be quiet, so I decided to leave a bit early. The place I was staying at was having trouble getting supplies of fresh produce anyways.
                                                                                         
It was already late when I got back. The stars certainly were shining brighter. I could even feel sweetness in the gentle breeze that was never present. I suspected I was in a good mood. I even thought I saw butterflies.


My pleasant dream was interrupted by the sound of birds chirping. Birds, not vultures. I also realized that I had not imagined seeing the butterflies. Something was different. There was moisture in the air, a sense of life brimming.

As I approached the gates, I saw that it was glowing. My heart began to pound only to skip a beat as I had opened the doors.

A pair of scared rabbits scurried off, and I saw there in front of me a path of flowers laid, various kinds, ones I had never seen before. It led up to higher grounds, logs leading as stairs. As I opened through the vines hanging like veils, there it was, a throne, built from roots. Light seemed to directly shine upon it, glimmering through the leaves. Two trees over laid the throne across each other with the branches gently swaying.

Fear struck my heart, but it was not the concern for my life. Rather, it was of awe, a fearful respect for something greater. My legs began to tremble.

Suddenly, the throne set fire. All went ablaze, and it took me a few seconds to realize what was happening. I rushed out towards the gates, running for my life.

As soon as I reached the gates, I turned to the stairs. I had to get to the beacon. I had to ask for help. I had never run so fast. Each stair adding to the already weighted heart, I finally reached the top, only to see the place completely empty again.

The next day, I received a letter from my father. He was concerned about the news of clamor amidst the neighbors. He was wondering if there had been any trouble here. He added that he would visit again soon. I wrote back to him saying there was no need, for now I knew the purpose of this place, the reason my generations of ancestors decided to protect these grounds. Surely the palace for a king, and I did not know it.


Genesis 28:16

No comments:

Post a Comment