Monday, June 13, 2016

Problem of Pain and Free Will

I too, like most Christians, often wondered about the problem of pain. It definitely is a tough topic of discussion. The fact that a book simply named "The Problem of Pain" has been in publication since 1940., courtesy of C. S. Lewis, speaks for itself.

I tried reading the text when I was a young college student. I highly doubt I fully understood the main points of interest, but one message that stuck with me was that the writer, nonetheless the cause, sought after God more so than before after the pains of life. Perhaps it is the reaction that should be focused upon, rather the reason.

I do not mean to elaborate on this specific issue, for I am a rudimentary scholar on it. However, one idea that I wanted to mention regarding said topic was that of free will.

Free will is indeed a marvelous gift that God has given mankind. We are no robots nor slaves before God, as God has promised such circumstances. The problem lies in that God respect this concept, and our individual actions are hindered not.

Perhaps, then, the tragedies in life that we experience is simply a culmination of everyone's choices of free will. It is not so much God's fault, but our individual failures.

Now, many would ask, "what about the interventions of God?" To such question, I honestly do not know how to respond. It is also a question of mine as well. Why does God bend the laws of nature to certain people? Why is not inclined to do so more?

Maybe I will learn someday, but for now, I do the best that I could to be careful of my everyday actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment