Tuesday, June 28, 2016

On Job

I am in the course of reading through the book of Job. It is a tough book to read, as I should have been way past Psalms by now. Nonetheless, I don't want to fly over the book, so I am taking some time reading it. 

The book is filled with delicate conversations, mostly of strong opinions hurled across friends. It is easy for the reader to acknowledge that Job is in the right, as noted by the messages in the beginning, but his friends are shown to be without such privilege. 

In the end of the book, God lifts Job up, whilst being angry with his friends. I thought about what wrong the friends committed, but I couldn't come up with a clear answer. 


One theory I came up with was that Job's friends almost talks down upon Job, as if he were a lesser man for having been "punished" by God. I sensed an underlying message of arrogance, deeply instilled as the state of humanity. It seems so easy to look down upon sinners, as if beneath in hierarchy. 

Equality among men seem obvious in modern society, but reality isn't as kind. We all seem to place ourselves in the ladder of society. 



An added comment I wanted to make was that physical illness is quite possibly the worst condition of man. An added message 

We see how Satan is allowed to attack Job on all sides. First, his possessions are lost: oxen, donkeys, sheep, and camels. Then, his sons and daughters were lost. In the next chapter, Satan is now allowed to strike Job with diseases.

A progression of pain and suffering is seen, perhaps implying that physical illness is indeed the worst of human condition. 

So, stand firm, those suffering from various disease. You really do have it the worst, the heroes the world needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment