Sunday, June 12, 2016

Potential, not Perfection

I think I can say with an honest heart that I have heard one of the most depressing sermons last Thursday. It was a sermon on Genesis. 

The text goes as follows: "The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it." Genesis 2:15 

The pastor stated that many people imagine Eden as perfection. While it is indeed perfect, it was not to say that development was unnecessary. God had Adam work the garden. Cultivation, farming, organizing and perhaps cooking was possible in His Garden. The pastor then extended this concept to all aspect of our lives: God gives potential, not perfection.

For the past years, all my prayers consisted of God's perfection. I sought after something that would be made, something that could be gotten as itself. Yet, God has always been giving potential, and it was my responsibility to work for it. All those years of praying seemed so meaningless. 

I had been praying for changes here in this school, for more passionate Christians, for excellent education, for loving doctors and for patients leaving fully healed. Yet, it had always been my responsibility to have worked for such heavenly states. 

I close this post my telling myself that it is my responsibility, for God has already given me all that I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment