Thursday, August 24, 2017

Apollo Testing

Ever since the day of my accident, where the pick-up truck turned over as I was sitting in the back seat, I have grown slightly afraid of vehicles in general. Whenever I dose off in a car, even a little jerk would wake me up immediately. The take off and landings of airplanes now gets me a bit nervous as well. 

The bright side of such trepidation is that as long as I get to the destination safely, the fear ends instantly. 

As I was watching Apollo 13, I tried imagining how the astronauts must have felt sitting in that rocketship. With the entirety shaking violently, three men sitting close together tightly. As each second counted off, millions of ways the mission could go wrong definitely must have crossed their minds. The greatest fear of it all, however, to me at least, must have been that they were venturing off into the unknown, a hostile environment where human life could not be sustained. I guess this fear must have been greater for the men of Apollo 11. 

I thought about what it must have been like for the many characters in the Bible. Kings to shepherd boys, they all had their share of making that leap towards the unknown. I thought about what got me grounded here nowadays. Am I making more courageous leaps than before? 

No comments:

Post a Comment