Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas from Hapcheon

This Christmas was to be especially meaningful to me. I was finally able to be a part of the “Blessing” Outreach ministry, heading out to a local church far away from the main cities. The church we went to was one that I had been to two years ago. It was a café/church in a small town. The pastor had visions of business ministry, in which he would serve the community not only in the spiritual sense, but in other ways as well, like that of a café.

I had been meaning to be a part of this for nearly three years. The first two years, I had to study for a transfer examination in order to get into the medical school I am attending now. The third year, I had an exam on the 26th of December. Of course, they may all sound like excuses, but in another sense, these were also ministries that I believe God had desired for me, and I did not want to give it only half an effort.

The outreach extended from Eve to Christmas Day. The pastor wanted us to hold a small celebration concert, in which we would sing Christmas songs and hand out gifts to those that did not share the faith. Afterwards, we headed to the local police station to sing carols. We hung out with the kids all night long, and the next day, served in the worship service with songs and sharing.

One of the reasons why I desperately wanted to go was because I always had a sense of emptiness when simply relaxing at home during these break times. After having spent time in places of lower income, perhaps even places with barely any electricity, let alone clean water, I felt too spoiled to simply “enjoy” life.

However, I had not felt as close to God, or felt a meaningful calling from Him. It was as if I was simply working. Though I do know that feelings should not be the judgmental factor in the "success" of a ministry, but a passage lingered in my head, which was 1 Corinthians 13. Verse 1 goes like this: "If I speak in tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Of course I have gotten a broader perspective in terms of religion and life. I do not condemn myself as much as I had before. I have learned that wealth is still wealth, while God is all the greater. It was fun meeting new people, helping out with the church and simply praising God in times of relaxation, but I had also learned that this trip was more of my nagging to God. I am not so sure what his plans for me this winter break was, but he definitely allowed me to be a part of this because I wanted to join (at least to my belief). Nothing is better than obeying and following the will of God. This I learned yet again. 

I hope all of you had a merry Christmas. Let us remember who Jesus is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment