Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Letting Him Go

Bear with me. This might me one of the longer ones.
Then say to him, "The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has sent me to say to you: Let me people go, so that they may worship me in the desert. But until now, you have not listened." Exodus 7:16
Quite possibly one of the most famous stories in the Bible is the story of Moses and the Israelites escaping Egypt. Thanks to Disney and the Prince of Egypt, most people should be quite familiar with the account of the ten deadly plagues. Other movies have been made with similar concepts, and frankly, stories of daring escape is an old friend in Hollywood. 

Talking more strictly in Biblical terms, however, the story is a bit more than just freeing God's people in the physical sense. Some biblical analysts say the ten plagues is a symbol for the gods of Egypt that have taken place in the hearts of His people.

Turning the Nile into blood was an act against Hapi, the Egyptian god of the Nile.
Frogs coming from the Nile was an act against Heket, Egyptian goddess of fertility, water and renewal (The god is portrayed as an anthropomorphic frog).
Lice from the dust of the earth was an act against Geb, Egyptian god of the earth.
Swarms of flies was an act against Khepri, the Egyptian god of creation, movement of the sun, rebirth (The god is portrayed as an anthropomorphic fly).
Death of the cattle and livestock was an act against Hathor, Egyptian goddess of love and protection (The god is portrayed as an anthropomorphic cow).
Ashes to boils was an act against Isis, Egyptian goddess of medicine and peace.
Fire and hail raining down was an act against Nut, Egyptian goddess of the sky.
Locusts storming Egypt was an act against Seth, Egyptian god of storms and disorder.
Darkness covering was an act against Ra, Egyptian god of sun.
Death of the firstborn was an act against Pharaoh, the "god" of Egypt. 

Now, as this post is labeled as Bible Comments, I thought I would share my account of these verses (The biblical knowledge was a patch-up from Google searching and this website: http://hubpages.com/hub/Ten-Plagues-For-Ten-Gods#). 

It has been a while since I have started attending school here. I have learned a lot, in the academic sense, the social sense as well as in the spiritual sense. Most of all, though, I learned of my basest, dirtiest self. I was selfish. I was childish. I was weak. I was naive. I was angry. I was senseless. I was proud. I was arrogant. I was all of it combined.

I had been holding myself back from meeting new people, meeting them in spirit, really opening myself up to them. I had been hurt by people, and I distanced myself from everyone, telling myself that I was better than them, so that I did not need them. The truth was, however, I was simply shying away, afraid to lose what comforts I had. I was the Pharaoh to my heart, my soul, that yearned to be with God. I wish to let His people go. I wish to soften my heart. I wish to let God take control yet again. I pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment