Friday, March 14, 2014

χαρις και ἡ αληθεια

“Who is it that overcomes the world? 
Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” 1 John 5:5

One of my best memories in high school was when I was part of the junior varsity basketball team. I was the all star bench warmer. I think I may have gotten a total of 5 minutes of playing time throughout the entire season. During the last game of the season, I had a chance to score for the first and the last time in my life, but I had missed. That sure broke my heart. Nonetheless, the best memory part actually came from the times before the game. We would gather around the locker room, huddle together and recite a prayer. Since I went to a Catholic school, it had something to do with Mary, mother of God. I don't remember any of the prayer, except for the last part, which was, "Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us at the hour of our death, amen!" The camaraderie, the brotherhood that stemmed from reciting such a powerful prayer was so much exhilaration. At this point in my life, however, I don't think it is  too healthy to pray to Mary, so I made some changes, and this is what I will share today. 

Jesus Christ, son of God, pray for us at the hour of our death. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment