Saturday, November 30, 2013

Seriousness of Christ

Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person - such a man is an idolater - has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them. / Ephesians 5:1-7

As I started growing in the Lord, I used to cling onto the outer looks of a Christian: The act of reading the Bible, attending church, the talking and even the walking. I used to chide myself whenever my actions fell behind. Those days were especially difficult for me as I was full of imperfection. Through my failures, I was fortunate enough to learn about the grace of God. I learned that it was okay to be lacking, in all sorts of ways. I soon experienced the love of Christ on a personal level, and have lived quite happily since. Recently, however, I am slowly realizing the responsibility of those ridden with grace. Although children may blossom in the arms of their parents (even causing trouble now and then), adults were expected to be more, more so on the spiritual level. Spirituality no longer became something that was not seen. It consisted of all of me. Of course it was easier to talk about anything that came to mind. It definitely was natural for me to live however I felt. My comfort zone was never challenged, but God seemed ever so serious about everything, especially the little things. 

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. / James 2:14-17

At first, I clung onto the works. Then I soon found faith. Now, I guess it is time to pick up my works, my cross, and follow Him, who has given courage to do so. I believe this is exactly why the Bible consistently speaks about encouragement. It is with this courage that we begin to walk behind Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment