Monday, September 24, 2012

Of Dogs and Men

My first experience with a dog was not a pleasant one. For the dog, I mean. The first pet dog my family ever had was when I was a little kid. Back then, I had no concept of respecting life. I remember how I put the dog in a little net and swung it around. Yes, I know; I was an awful child, but I will have you know, this only happened once.
 
We ended up giving the dog away when moving to the States. My brother seemed to miss it a lot. After a while, he even started volunteering for the humane society in high school. I tagged along and helped him out occasionally. I had to go through several lectures to learn how to train dogs. It was nothing too difficult, but it was amazing how some dogs could be trained to have the utmost loyalty.
 
I do not get to see too many dogs these days. It is probably from having lived in dorms and apartments for many years. Whenever I do get to see one, I really do enjoy its friendliness. Occasionally, I see dogs that are well-behaved, but more often not. There are dogs out in the wilderness starving to death, and yet here are dogs that just do not know who their owners are.
 
Then again, I am humbled as I see how I have no regard for my own Creator. Being loyal seems to be the hardest task. I guess this is why I really enjoyed the “Jurassic Bark” episode from Futurama, seeing a dog that waits patiently for its master outside, sitting quietly, listening intently, and yearning endlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment