Monday, April 2, 2012

Summer

It’s the beginning of April, yet very little hint of spring is near. Rain keeps falling and I miss the smell of lilacs. I even heard it’s been snowing somewhere around here. In days like these, my mind often wanders to past years. I remember watching the World Cup sometime in the summer of 2006. I had come home from the States for break. The family had recently moved to a different neighborhood, though still in Seoul. We were on the first floor of a tall apartment, and a small garden was growing right in front of my room. I could clearly see the plants as the window was more like a glass door. Thanks to jetlag, I was wide awake around 3:17AM. On my way home, I had bought some food to eat from the convenience store near the apartment. With the volume set to low, I had turned on the old TV that was in my room; England was playing against some team. I remember thinking that their jersey was one of the better looking ones. The window was open and a gentle breeze came in along with its friend, tranquility. As I was staring blankly into the computer screen, I remember thinking life was good. I’m not sure if much has changed since then. I hope I matured a little bit.

All the while, I cannot shake the feeling of helplessness. Only several weeks into keeping a blog, I realize that words have limits. Words fail to express even the simple smell of coffee in the morning. How then could lives of men, furthermore the Creator be expressed? How can such limited thoughts of mine be filtered into words and then portray meaning to others?

I miss staying up, listening to Lion King’s “In the Jungle” at 2:37AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment