Friday, April 27, 2012

Basement Blues

It was my sophomore year in high school and my mom decided it was best for her to go back to Korea for a year and stay with dad. My mom, brother and I had been living in America while dad stayed in Korea to work (in case you were wondering, no they are not divorced).

I was fortunate enough to find a family that would let me live with them for a whole year. My brother found a family to stay with as well and that was the first time us brothers lived separately. The time spent was not easy, but I definitely matured significantly over the year.

I remember the first night at the house. I stayed in a room in the basement because the other room was not ready yet. The room downstairs was neither damp nor dark, but for some reason I felt rather deserted, maybe even a bit cheated. As I turned on some music, the first song that played was “Dance with My Father Again” by Luther Vandross. I recall listening to the song and having tears roll down my face, completely alone in a strange house. Every time I hear the song, I reminisce the importance of family again.

It is so easy to lose track of the importance of family. It is a tragedy that we often learn it only after we have lost it. 

1 comment:

  1. 111111111111111111111111111111111
    와! 내가 첫번째다.

    ReplyDelete