Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Jealousy

I never thought I would write anything about dating, but something came up that led me to think about jealousy in a relationship. Here is the story. My girlfriend and I go to different churches. There is a guy from church whom she had dated a while ago, say 2-3 years ago. She broke the relationship after a short time, and the guy went through some emotional stress. He managed to overcome it all, and they both stayed as friends.

Just today, I visited my girlfriend working at a café. I had brought dinner and hung around for about an hour and a half. Around 6, her church pastor and the ex came to the café. My girlfriend told me she was rather uncomfortable with both of us being in the same place and asked me if I could leave early, in which I agreed and simply left.

It took me a little more than an hour to get home since it was rush hour, which was more than enough time to think about what just happened. I understood that she was careful in not making her ex feeling uncomfortable since she has to see him every week at church where talk is inevitable. Still, I was a bit disappointed. Would anyone really care if no emotions were left whatsoever?

Personally, I am not the jealous type, but I was definitely irked. It wasn’t so much that I was jealous, but I was irritated by the fact that she considered his situation more so than how I would have felt.

Maybe this is being jealous. After having written it down, it does seem like a childish response, but I came to the conclusion that jealousy is the response after being pushed down in priority. No wonder God proclaims Him to be jealous, all in good reason, I guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment