Wednesday, August 1, 2018

On Friendship and Brotherhood

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity." Proverbs 17:17
"One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother" Proverbs 18:24

I can say with certain confidence that I am in a good relationship with my older brother, better than average at the least. However, he is far away in America, while I am in Korea. I can't say we have not had our share of quarrels, especially when living together, but I do at times miss having a sure ally, someone who I can trust to be on my side. 

I also remember having lots of friends, but that soon changed along with my changing thoughts on friendship. Though it did not help that most of my friends ended up living vastly away from each other, my definition of friendship became more than just hanging out during free time. It consisted more of giving up on self-importance for the good of others. I guess my friends never considered me that important. 

At first, I thought I had major issues in relationships. I thought perhaps I was lacking social skills. It still may be, but at other times, I feel like God was calling out to me, to reach out and focus on Him more. 

I have spent more time with God thanks to the growing hours of solitude. I have felt his love through many sources, but I do recognize that God sends out his love by people as well, friends and family. That may be the reason why I dwell on such verses. I guess I am longing for deep friendship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment