Friday, June 29, 2018

Thoughts on Lebanon #4

The rest of the trip was very similar. We visited schools in the mornings and visited refugee camps in the afternoons. 

During the trip, I took some time to get to know a little more about the Syrian war. It was difficult to get a detailed view, as so many different parties with their own motives got tangled within. Nonetheless, a war was what occurred, and a lot of the Syrian refugees flooded into the neighboring country that was Lebanon. 


Lebanon was most a Christian nation, nearing 60% of the population following God. Soon with the refugee crisis and changes in demographics, the country was supposedly mostly Muslim. However, due to the sensitivity of religions, the government did its best not to label issues as religious. This is not to say hate crime against religion is nonexistent, but when an issue rises concerning rabbis or priests, the officials soon backed off. 


This paved way into a gang-like territory issue. Whenever a town had a church, Muslim leaders would be hesitant to build a synagogue near it. Whenever a town had a synagogue, churches would not be planted. The towns chose what religious buildings they wanted present, and more people came for the religious colors. The cycle continued and heavy religious colors resides in local areas. 

Although gang-like territory wars do not occur, it was enough motivation for us to pray for the country. It also gave me a sense of alertness for Muslims in light of spiritual matters.


We left Lebanon on Friday, leaving behind, hopefully, our sincerest prayers and touches of love. Honestly, I do not know if the sick we had prayed for will get well. I do not know if the seeds of the Gospel we spread would fully bloom. I guess I would only know if I ever make it back to Lebanon. In the meantime, I pray that I may continue on with my life in the peace of God, while constantly searching for what God has in store for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment