Thursday, June 7, 2018

Thoughts from Psalm 73

"Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.
For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.
They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills.

When I tried to understand all this, it troubled me deeply
till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.
Surely you place them on slippery ground; you cast them down to ruin.
How suddenly are they destroyed, completely swept away by terrors!
They are like a dream when one awakes; when you arise, Lord, you will despise them as fantasies."
Psalm 73:1-5, 16-20

Surely God is great. Surely He is. Yet, the world is full of mysteries I do not understand. It is full of iniquities, unfairness and harm. Even I am perhaps regarded as someone with no human burdens. Maybe I am that healthy, strong and rich. However, I still envy those that have more than me. Those who know God not, yet live perfectly well. 

When will I enter your sanctuary? When will I see the destiny of the ungodly? When will I finally know the beauty of your love and live in peace with it? When will I return to you from this place? 

No comments:

Post a Comment