Friday, January 26, 2018

Egyptians Negotiations

"Afterward Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and said, 'This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: "Let my people go, so that they may hold a festival to me in the wilderness."'" Exodus 5:1
"Pharaoh said, 'The Lord be with you—if I let you go, along with your women and children! Clearly you are bent on evil. No! Have only the men go and worship the Lord, since that’s what you have been asking for.' Then Moses and Aaron were driven out of Pharaoh’s presence." Exodus 10:10-11

"Then Pharaoh summoned Moses and said, 'Go, worship the Lord. Even your women and children may go with you; only leave your flocks and herds behind.'" Exodus 10:24

"During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, 'Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the Lord as you have requested. Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me.'” Exodus 12:31-32

Moses was sent to Egypt with a mission from God. He was to free the Israelites from their bondage to Pharaoh. He was to lead the people out to worship God and move on from Egyptian territory. However, the mission was not an easy task.

Though I recommend reading the entirety of the book of Exodus, in short, Moses visits the Pharaoh multiple times, each bringing caution of a disaster to come. With each visit, the Pharaoh refuses yet begs for the end to the plagues at hand. 

A short reflection I had upon reading the verses was that God was relentless and unyielding. Pharaoh opens words of debate, of negotiations. He recommends only the men to go worship. Soon, he allows for all the people. At last, he allows complete exodus of the Israelites. 

It is often for me to make compromises, even with the words of God: perhaps this is okay, just a little bit, only for today, this is just being picky. Theses are all words of sin creeping at my footsteps. In retrospect, I guess it would have been easier for Moses to wait until Pharaoh allowed for all of Israelites and their possessions to leave Egypt, for they were going to leave forever, but it reminded me that God wants us to be perfect, for He is perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment