Thursday, December 14, 2017

Treadmill Thoughts

Every morning, I head downstairs to get some exercise in before work starts. In front of the running machine, an old electronic clock ticks away. It is one of those unnecessarily fancy kind where it shows the date as well as the lunar date. 

Running on the treadmill, I blankly stared at the clock, which lit up four numbers, 2-0-1-7. It has been 17 years more than a two thousand. Two thousand years. Human history actually has been more than that. The year 2017 is 2017 A.D. which states Anno Domini, not "After Death," unlike popular belief. It is still the turning point from B.C., which is "Before Christ." 

It was fascinating to dwell on that point, especially because I was indoors with the heat on from the air conditioner installed on the ceiling while running on a treadmill, listening to a sermon on my cellphone which I held, wearing fancy sportswear. Humanity has come a long way. Here I was barely 30 years old, thinking about life and regrets while human history extended well beyond, while God existed throughout time. 

I felt a lot smaller, yet more comfortable knowing that a lot has been and a lot will be. 

It is also interesting how there are many people who do not believe in Jesus Christ, yet follow some cultural aspects stemmed from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment