Friday, May 20, 2016

The “Already” of God

It is quite easy for those who have just begun to walk in the way of Christianity to consider God as a problem solver. Whether it is a simple matter of finding food for tomorrow to complexities scaling to national emergencies, we all seem to ask for something. Maybe it is from ages of shamanism deeply instilled within cultures, nonetheless, we ask for betterment of our shortcomings. Personally, I ask God to make me a humble man, yet, at the same time, ask that I become a talented man. I ask to be wise in my spending, yet, ask for the winning combination in the lottery.

With time, however, our prayers go rather unanswered. I have never won the lottery, and I honestly don’t think I ever will. Would this challenge the almighty power of the Lord? Does this threaten His loving kindness? Maybe, but I found it more so that my prayers were selfishness seeping out.

Jesus once said, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?...So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:25, 31-33)

It seems pretty clear that God will provide for all the needs of being human. He demands that we ask for something more, the kingdom come. I wish to be the one to obey and say that all I seek is to be in His presence all the days of my life, but reality clings on like a hook. There are still people, even believers, who do not find food for the day, clothes for tomorrow. I still lack the kindness of heart to spread to others, in hopes to show the difference of being a Christian.

Despite all schism between reality and what is written in the Bible, not much seems to shake up the daily routines of life. It was then when I realized that maybe God has already provided. Maybe the small allowance that I have saved was to put food for a neighbor of mine. Maybe the kindness of heart that is to be seen to others is there, but simply needs a brush-up. Maybe all the problems that we face each day already has answer that somehow got lost in the messy room of our minds.

It just seems that God has already shown me what is good. I just need to act upon it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment