Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Competitive Spirit

Our school holds a small tournament of 3v3 basketball. It starts around April and the championship game is held during carnival week. Registration is limited to extracurricular groups and circles, and the group I am participating in, Christian Medical Fellowship (CMF) made it to the finals.

It is now my fourth year participating here in school, and every year, it caused me such angst. As this will be my last year, I really wanted to get down to why I felt so anxious about competition.

One part seems to be that I am fearful of losing. I could pin it to some childhood trauma, but whatever it is, I don’t seem like seeing my true self. I cover myself up with fancy decorations, yet the inside is rather hollow. Perhaps I am fearful of being rejected, rejected once people see my real self.

Another part seems to be that I am craving for dominance. I want to stand high above than others, showing off how great I am.

I guess in some sense, both inherently contain my hunger for significance. After pondering about the matter for a while, everything simply boils down to my lack of love for God, and how my hunger will only be quenched through Jesus.

A short prayer, thereafter, however, I simply begin the cycle of angst and peace again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment