Thursday, February 11, 2016

Abu Dhabi: A Growing Nation - 1

Day 1
I had planned to go to Virginia for clinical rotations, but I decided to stay in Korea to attend my best friend’s wedding. The wedding was great, but I did not want to waste the passport I had gotten. I know this may sound strange, but as a Korean male who has yet to attend the military service, getting a passport was near impossible past a certain age unless with good reason.

Still, I was feeling rather lazy. Not wanting to spend much time planning for a trip, I decided to head over to Abu Dhabi where a friend of mine had been working for nearly three years.

“The LORD had said to Abram, ‘Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.” Genesis 12:1

Departure sure calls forth many emotions. Heading out, leaving possessions and familiarity behind, I was inclined to seek God as I had before. It really seemed good reason for God to have Abraham leave his home.

Sitting alone amongst strangers on the airplane had time seem like sand seeping through my hands. The world became bigger and humility found its way in my mind. Thanks to the crying baby, I snapped out of overt sentimentality, giving me a chance to simply look back within reason.


Day 2
I landed in Abu Dhabi early morning, and my friend had come out to greet me. The airport was rather humble despite the country’s reputation for opulence, but I was soon met with grandeur and beauty unmatched. My friend took me to the St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort for a breakfast buffet. The resort was by the beach, palm trees in between, and it stood in magnificence.

After heading home, I unpacked while my friend headed to work. The entire day was to myself, and I too set foot to travel about the city.

The first place I visited was the Yas Mall. It was a big mall located conveniently in the island of Yas. It was like a mall I had seen in many western countries, but bigger and shinier. The place, however, was rather empty. I had figured it was because I was early, but this seemed to be a common theme throughout the trip.  

The next stop was the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It was clearly visible from afar, bright white in its appearance. Everything was clean, not a drop of trash around despite its lack of garbage cans. I had been reading Leviticus for a while, and the passage seemed to shed light in just how delicate and detailed God wanted his tent to be built. How greater must have the temple been? The mosque was decorated with gold and flowery adornments. I had a peak at the Quran as well and wished I had learned some Arabic. 

I was not feeling my best, so I returned home a bit early and waited for my friend. We had dinner at the Rosewood hotel. Traditional Lebanese cuisine was extra delicious, probably from the view as well as others smoking the waterpipe. It was my first time trying lamb, and I wondered why I had not tried it in all my years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment