Saturday, February 13, 2016

Abu Dhabi: A Growing Nation - 2

Day 3
The weekend started Thursday evenings in Abu Dhabi. Since I could spend the daytime with my friend (plus the car), we had quite a busy schedule ahead. My friend and I visited the Yas Island again to go to the Ferrari World. It was an indoor theme park packed with Ferrari history. I was impressed how big a theme park could be built indoors seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Again, the place was a bit empty. We did have fun getting on rides multiple times in a row, but I had this looming notion that maybe this place was a ghost town.  

I made my way to church since service was held on Fridays. Onnuri Church had a branch in Abu Dhabi, and I thought it would be a good experience in learning a bit more about the country and its relationship with Korea.

On a side note, the sermon was on Hebrews 11, faith and obedience. I was reminded of bravery, and just how ambitious I could be in living as a Christian before God. I also learned that a lot of Koreans situated in Abu Dhabi from power plant developments and general engineering positions. Not a lot of youngsters were present, mostly children of families. I hoped to get a bit more interaction with the folks, but as a traveler, they did not have much to offer.

The next stop was Emirate Palace. Despite the name “palace” it was a hotel, though exquisitely a palace in appearance.  It was definitely the pinnacle of luxury, advocating the wealth of Abu Dhabi. The hotel even had a gold dispenser! The meal was good indeed, and after a little drive around town, we called it a day for the early start the next morning.


Day 4
The morning was to be spent in the desert. My friend made reservation to a desert safari. I was expecting some dune bashing in a buggy, but I guess that was only in the movies. I did experience it in a Landrover, the safer of the options, fun nonetheless.

To be honest, the desert really held no scenery. Sand dunes simply shifted with the wind with occasional camel herds following its owner. Although the Bible does not explicitly mention it, the Disney movie portrays Moses wandering in the desert fleeing from Egypt to Midian. Scholars mention the distance from Egypt to Midian as nearly 7000 miles. If you consider a camel as a method of transportation, 25 miles per hour, Moses probably arrived in almost two weeks. If he was really fleeing, the travel should have taken more than three months.

Two weeks and three months are vastly different, yet, the desert surely would have imposed its presence all the more.

Sand was hot to my feet. The sun coarsely beat down. Only shrubs were visible from far beyond, while the night was cold, empty and devoid of much life.  Depending on God did not seem too unreasonable after having seen a desert.

We came home just after noon. After a small lunch, we jumped to Yas Waterpark to cool off and act juvenile one last time. I actually got really excited, alerting my friend to ask if I had been under great stress.

Back home, we ordered pizza and watch some TV before falling asleep. Lying in bed, I wandered why God had allowed me on this trip. Glimpse of the Bible was definitely seen here, as the cultural background is closer home to the Middle East than anywhere else. Still, I had questions as to where I should be heading soon after heading home to Korea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment