Sunday, November 8, 2015

Captured the Moment

Since birth I was educated, like the rest of us, with death. All my life, directions headed to the limitations of the here and now. Everything was fading and passing away, and it bothered me so much. I desperately wanted to capture a moment, any moment. So I went traveling to foreign countries. I took on various jobs. I watched more and more movies. I even tried to meet as many people as possible. I lived my life to its seconds to do more and be more than anyone else in the world. Yet, nothing lasted. All faded into the brittle mind called memories.

I then turned to God and asked, “Where is meaning in this world?”

But the answer I got was nothing but repeating days, mundane and redundant.

For quite some time, I was frustrated. None of my actions seemed to have an effect on anything. I was bored and anxious at the same time, but there was nothing I could do to change what He has given me. I turned to simple pleasures of the world. Intoxicated, I became, and soon lost sight of all that I had. Yet, the sun came up the following morning, and rain came and went nonetheless.

“For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.” Matthew 5:45b

Despite all that has happened, God loved nonetheless, whether in my good or in my bad. I quickly found gratitude and made joy of the life He has given me. With a growing heart of thankfulness, details started to spring to life. Even the smallest things had meaning. Every block forged into something greater. I speculated and examined more of what He has provided for me. The more meaning I gave, the more meaningful all became.

The present of the here and now, supported by the past of what has happened, spearheaded by the future of what is to come, blended perfectly, for I saw how I will soon leave the shackles of time with hands holding tightly with God. With death soon to be defeated, a moment ceased to be a moment, but eternity. No longer did I have lingering desire for meaning in time, but only in God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment