Saturday, May 16, 2015

ICU Blues

I started rotations in surgery. It was my first week and it was tough. Call me a wimp, but I needed some time to get adjusted to standing for long hours. Luckily, God gave me enough strength to manage the first week. Apparently, the first week is the upper GI part, which has one of the most surgical cases, the toughest.

As the professor was doing rounds, the group stopped by the Surgical Intensive Care Unit. I was nearly dosing off as the professor was monitoring the patient's hemovac, when suddenly, I heard a quiet hymn. 

I discreetly turned my head to see who was singing. It was a woman, perhaps in her late 20s or early 30s. The bed to which she had stood by seemed empty at first glance. Soon, however, I noticed an infant, trying hard to take breaths. 

After centuries and many years of science accumulation, mankind has made strides to fight disease and illnesses. Yet, even at the pinnacle of such successes, all we can do at times, is to seek God for comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment