Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Sound Guy

I started helping out with the worship team around 2011. Music never was so tasteful until I found love in worship songs. Naturally, I wanted to join the praise team, but I had always regarded myself as someone who couldn't sing. I never got around to passionately playing an instrument either. Thus, a sound engineer was what I decided to be. Sound engineer. Oooo. Fancy title, but to a certain level, there really was not much to it. A good friend of mine was in charge of such a position then, so I was able to learn over his shoulders the basics. 

"This goes here, that goes there, here's the power button, don't turn it off until...yup, that's what will happen."

A few weeks was enough to handle most of the situations, but one of his comments that I could not agree was that a big part of worship will be lost. It is difficult to pay attention to the service when you are in charge of all the sound that occurs. It definitely is difficult to sing along, worshiping God with my own voice. The critical part of it all is that you need to shut up to listen to others. Each instrument, each voice demands attention, while an overall sound is what needs to be in touch. It was such an easy concept, yet probably the hardest to follow. Of course it was a blessing in itself as well, but if you were ever to do the same, it is probably a good idea to find another service to let your soul out.

No comments:

Post a Comment