Sunday, January 6, 2013

Embryonic Thoughts

In a random turn of events, rather intricately woven by God as I must, I have been led back in Korea, back in my room, in front of my desk, studying embryology. I have to admit it has been a bold, almost arrogant, challenge for me. It is indeed difficult studying subjects of long history all alone. Aside from the effectiveness of my studies, a deep question has been growing, which led me to write such thoughts down. The birth of a baby has many steps, all with great risks in problems, and some leading to death. As I am here looking at pictures of dead fetuses, one without a head, one with attached legs (like a mermaid), one with two heads, some with no spine, others with chromosome problems, all just looking like nothing more than flesh. Who defines life? Are these babies or just piles of meat? It’s almost chilling that I am reading parts of Genesis, in which humanity is being cursed to bear pain in childbirth. It is almost paradoxical to hear that our God is a loving God, when there are so much remnants of the curse pervasive. Imagine the horrors the mother would go through in seeing a monstrous form lying dead ridden with blood. Or would it be bittersweet love and mercy on such tragedy? What are we to say? What are we to do, but just move on? I’m trying hard to understand His thoughts on this. What is God’s plan in having us see such brokenness? Or maybe I should simply get back to studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment