Saturday, May 5, 2012

Loneliness of a Genius

Seeing my friends do this and that made me feel a bit guilty. I felt lazy and sad that I was pretty much mooching off my parents without even trying to work. After a little search, I was able to get in contact with an English academy close to home.

I taught English for a month (before I got tired of working there) to a couple of third grade students. Among my favorite students was a girl named Helen. She was younger than her peers, a first grader, but she was excellent. She always did her homework and participated so well in class. One day, however, I saw her looking across to another room. It was the first grade level class. As she watched her friends leave, I saw it in her eyes the loneliness of a genius.

I did not want to use the term “genius” as I do not believe in hierarchy of people, but I wanted to emphasize the feeling of separation: the heavy expectations, common misunderstandings, isolation of thought.

It is sad to see how so many people are treated negatively simply because of some traits. Yes, of course you can argue that you worked hard to get to where you are now, but that is maybe 1% of the reason why you got there. Most of it was given freely from ancestors and ancestors, by chance...by God.

We are all the same people, just lacking too much in embrace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment