Monday, May 20, 2019

Cruise Hype

All aboard!

This was my first time getting on a cruise ship. My father was on his sabbatical, and he was to take April, May and June off. My older brother was working in Maine, so my parents decided to spend time with him. 

In a conversation with his boss, my brother was told about vacations on a cruise ship. His boss suggested the idea after hearing that the parents were going to be over, and naturally, my brother thought it would be a good opportunity for our parents. 

Thus, he went on and planned for everything, but my mother left some words that went along the lines of, "It would be great if the entire family could go together..." In an instant, I was flung into the plan, as well as my brother. It quickly became a family trip, and I had to take my precious days off my annual leave. 

Despite the long hours on the plane and the banging headache from jet lag, I made it safe on the cruise along with my family. To be honest, I thought it was more so an exclusive luxury trip, but it was more of a wild party ship, full of people. Well, on the bright side, because of that, I got to see a lot of people. 

It had been at least six years since I last visited the US. Something I noticed from the start was that many were obese. Also, there were really a lot of races, a lot of different cultures shown within the people. People were just living their lives, separate goals, separate outlooks. Everyone was just simply different.  

As each day passed, the daily issues I had back home became smaller. I started to wonder what I was being chased by so much. In a social sense, I guess it was from the fact that the population density in Seoul was enormous. On top of that, the more or less racial homogeneity made people seem to want similar goals in life. Not to mention the limited resources within the country as well as comparatively weaker status among nations near. The culmination of all of that somehow made me running after money and fame, just like how everyone else seemed to be doing. 

I was reminded that this was not a healthy way to live. Everyone was created each in their own uniqueness by God, each with their separate missions, but one unified purpose: to praise and serve God. Though the looks may be vastly different, there really was no one true handsomeness and beauty. Though the numbers on bank accounts may be different, it was by no means of judging someone. Way of thought and behavior was just another color to this world.  

Though physically straining, it was good to be with the family again. I got to feel loved again, as I was getting pretty lonely living alone in Chuncheon. I guess this was why taking a break every year was recommended. 

I'm just hope this brighter mind would last longer, at least until the next break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment