Monday, April 15, 2019

Life in Death

My parents left to visit my brother in Maine. On the day of their departure, I was to take a day off to give them a ride to the city airport terminal. They were to leave Friday morning, so I was back home by Thursday evening. I was attending a church meeting when I heard the news from a friend that a classmate from medical school had passed away. The news was completely out of the blue that I actually felt no emotion spring up. 

I had gotten to know him through the school church praise team. He was a bit younger than I was, studying to be a nurse. Thanks to his great personality, we got close pretty quickly, but the times I felt that I really connected with him was from seeing that both of us had deep outcries of the heart for some meaning and value in life. We both seemed to suffer from nihilistic thoughts while trying to understand Christianity.

In few hours news articles on his death were prevalent. It was not because he was a celebrity nurse, but because his death was odd. He was found dead in the bathroom stall of a shopping mall. He was reported to be holding a needle in one hand, but initial examination found little evidence of homicide nor suicide. 

I have my thoughts on what happened, but nothing will ever be completely known. I was just sorry that I had not kept in touch for the past few years. 

Nonetheless, I was fortunately enough to attend his funeral. Although the few funerals I had attending were most of my friends who had experienced losses, this was the time I attending a funeral in honor of a friend. It was surreal to be talking to the parents, but I could tell they received much comfort from all those that had attended.

After paying my condolences, I had a chance to talk to old classmates of mine. Amidst the sadness, we all shared good moments in the name of the friend. Though it was still so absurd life dissipated so haplessly, there were moments of significance within the absurdity. 

The fact that there was an end of all of this made all moments ever so valuable.  

I never knew what people did to enjoy life, but I felt like I was beginning to understand the beauty of human interaction. As much as that sounds sociopathic, I simply hoped that my friend got to know that as well. I will be praying that his soul rests peacefully within the arms of God and that his family finds comfort knowing that. 

Though from apart, in distant planes, sharing time and place, a moment was ever so beautiful, and I am glad to have found out about it. Amidst death, I saw human frailty. Amidst the weakness, I found the love of Christ. 

Rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment