Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Last Night in Buksan

A year has passed already. It seemed like time here would never end. Days and weeks sure felt faster as I grew older. Trees among the mountains changed from green to orange, white to green yet again. All the hours spent driving from here to there seemed to be mashed together in my head. 

I remember the lonely rides back into the countryside late at night. I remember speeding so much in hopes that I might crash and die instantly. I remember seeing lots of elk roaming around, gently hiding back into the bushes as I approached closer. I remember the day I squashed a little rabbit with my car. It was an accident, of course, but I felt like the spirit of the rabbit hovered over me throughout my sleep. I remember seeing the cherry blossoms blooming in its full magnificence, shedding tears onto the roads. I remember driving up a slippery slope, only to see a grand view of the lake and its mountains. I remember driving all around the province of Gangwon, hours to and fro. I remember driving to Gangneung to work as a medical team member in the Pyeonchang Olympics. I remember the snowplow making way for me into the health center, so that I could stay home and cook wings upon a grill outside below the spring snow. I remember driving back home after sweeping the national tournament of public health doctor basketball league with Chulwon and Chuncheon together as a team. I remember driving in the hard rain that seemed to wash away everything on the mountains. I remember playing the music so loud in the car, just to drown out my screams towards God for help. I remember driving in the quiet nights with stars shining ever so brightly. I remember listening to a sermon every drive home, trying to get closer to God and learn more about Him. I remember driving from one branch to another with joyous laughter spent with fellow doctors. I remember picking up good friends who came all the way here just to see me for only a couple of hours. I remember throwing up in the tunnels from having taken too much tramadol, desperately trying not to spill in the car seats. I remember calling my friend just to hear his voice for comfort. I remember driving back excited from having bought hamburgers, as there were no restaurants near the residence. I remember driving with one eye open after having I&D on a sty. I remember swiveling three times before making it safely back to Chuncheon. I remember the first time getting off. I will surely remember the last time driving away.  

All of this was so very unexpected, but I am thankful all together. Though another two years are left, I pray to God for a good year gone by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment