Monday, December 14, 2015

Blindside

Scientists say that your immune system is compromised when you get little sleep. I unfortunately had first-hand experience on the matter. During exams, I had gotten little sleep over several days. Luckily I did not catch a cold, but I was met with a stye. Hordeolum, to be medical exact, is an infection of the sebaceous glands of Zeis at the base of the eyelashes, or an infection of the apocrine sweat glands of Moll. 

Simply put, I had a swollen eye with a slight fever. When I was young, getting a stye was nothing too bad. A couple of days sleep would have it healed. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case this time. The infection lasted several days without much improvement. I soon went to the doctor to have in drained, which hurt immensely. 

I could go on about how bad it was, but I wanted to share a thought over this experience.

I could barely see with my left eye. Then I thought about how difficult it would have been if both my eyes had been infected. The thought carried on further and I wondered what my life would have been like if I had gone completely blind in both of my eyes. 

I would have had a lot of adjustments to make, not to mention making a lot of devastated outcries to God. Perhaps I would have enhanced senses of hearing and smelling. All in all, however, I realized that I would become completely dependent on the mercy of others for me to live on. I would need help in finding shelter and food. I would need guidance in avoiding potential dangers. The other big part would be that I would need others to let me be. I could be abused and assaulted without much of self-protection to be done. 

I would become so dependent on God, perhaps pray each moment of the rest of my blind life. 

But I soon realized that I actually was blind at this moment. I was spiritually blind, and I needed the grace of God immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment