Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Resilience

Resilience is the ability to withstand, adapt to, and recover from adversities. There are several resilience factors that can be modified: a positive appraisal or outlook and good executive functioning; nurturing parenting; good maternal mental health, good self-care skills, and consistent household routines; and an understanding of trauma. The personal histories of children who overcome poverty often include at least one trusted adult (parent, grandparent, teacher) with whom the child has a special, supportive, close relationship. Pediatric providers are positioned to target and bolster resilience in their patients and families. - Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Edition 21. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier, 2020.

This is my last week in Pediatrics. The last two months have been eventful, but very informative. One of the difficulties I had with Pediatrics was that I had no hands-on experience with raising a child. Just by having a child to raise, normal development would be something acquired easily. Unfortunately, I am still unmarried, so I had to study from the textbook with regard to the milestones of development. 

Resilience, as the textbook puts it, is the ability to overcome challenges in life. As a child, living was never questioned. Events occurred and another day was passed. I guess I could say I had an easier childhood than most. Or, it could have been that my parents shielded me from a lot. As I grew older, the fences wore out, my parents grew older, and I faced greater challenges. 

I wondered how I had passed the difficulties that came. The traumas in life just seemed more obscure and unusual. Nonetheless, I knew I had to walk on and overcome, and this resilience just came to heart. I had a loving family, supportive friends, and most of all, God on my side. 

I really am having a hard time these days, but I trust that God will lead me on still, as He has done in pastimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment