Friday, November 25, 2016

UFC on My Mind

I have only started watching clips of UFC this year. McGregor and the spotlight he is receiving was exciting to watch. I was thinking about picking up martial arts next year when I have more free time, perhaps learn a couple of moves.

A good friend suggested Jiu Jitsu, as he was deep into it, jokingly saying we should compete someday. I said “jokingly” not only because he has been at it for years, but also because he was much bigger than me.

In watching all the martial arts competitions, there always were tiers, weight divisions for competitors. I am sure there are those that can overcome height, weight and even reach simply by technique and agility, hence the great appraisal for McGregor when he became champion of two different weight divisions, but it was all to a certain extent.

I am not short in Korean standards, but simply average height. I wanted to be taller, even still, but God hasn’t quite shown me a way to get taller yet. I wanted to be bigger and faster, to be greater among people, but as a medical student, I knew I have passed that day and age of growth. No matter how strong I would get, there would be somebody bigger and faster than me to outdo me.

I guess I got a bit frustrated and even angry at God. Why did his beloved people sit at the end, watch all the others reign fury upon the world?

Well, they story of David and Goliath was precisely the answer to my question. God overcame such limits, such barriers for men. The seemingly impossible was done with the help of God. I cannot say I know all the backstory to such magnificent wonder God had shown, but just the fact that it has been done provides enough encouragement to a man like me. God does provide. He does help us overcome our seeming giants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment