Monday, October 3, 2016

One Body

“For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.” Romans 12:4-8

As I am nearly my graduation, the jump into society, I feel more pressure to be responsible. A big part of that, to me at least, is being financially stable. Actually, I have this growing desire to be well off. As a child, a daily allowance was all that was needed to be pretty satisfied. With my eyes seeing more of the world, the power of money and the influence it can bring, I have been wanting to be more famous and wealthy.

At first, I had thought being wealthy was not really God’s desire for man. As I got to know more about Him, I realized that it is less so much about how we are spiritually, rather than our current life situations. Of course, faith and works need to go in tandem, but being rich or poor didn’t seem like such a big issue as I had seen it before.

Thus came my question, why not be rich then? If being rich or poor does not have much bearing in God’s love and will for us, I thought it would be better to be rich, having a bit more luxury and comfort, be a little more free in giving.

As I shared this desire, a pastor simply said to pray about it more. He also added that God has specific plans for us all, the best plans laid specifically and perfect for individuals.

Out of all the people in this world, not everyone is a Christian. Would it be too much to ask? I was not asking for wealth beyond legend. Plus, it would be just one more person with a bit more money.


Then I came across this verse. It was not the first time I had seen it, but I saw it in a different light. We really were one body. The same is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12. “Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ” (Verse 12). As with the human body, one cell acting out would be instantly killed by the immune function. Cells actually even have a self-destruct function for when it fails to do its function. A cell that survives despite having left its originally function, is in essence, a cancer cell. It would destroy the entire body. Do you remember those horror movies that depict body parts hanging out in the wrong places? Well, medically, it is real. It is called a teratoma: random functioning cells growing in random places.

I admit it. I still want to be rich, not even that, simply a bit well off. I know it may not be God’s will for me to have financial stability. I will still pray about it, perhaps my prayer would soon change as I grow more mature spiritually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment