Friday, June 5, 2015

Introduction to a Story

"This will be my first story, and I had the rough draft font be “Trebuchet MS,” but who knows what the editors will do in the end? I enjoy the font because it reminds me of college days. Back when I was an engineering student at Carnegie Mellon University, my friend would have the Powerpoint slide fonts be exactly that as it was the “best” font there was. I couldn’t say I agreed, but it seemed alright as I really didn’t want to look at other ones instead. Such lack of interest in details was a common theme in my life. I often found myself moving on with life without paying much attention as to where I was headed. Perhaps this was my vice that God had wanted to fix. After having graduated from CMU, I went to Korea to become a doctor. Now, medical school was all about the details. I want you to know that I worked hard to remember all the bits and parts of how the body worked, but I found more interest in the details of writing. I saw how each word had their own histories, their own stories to tell. A collection of such words would culminate into a message, one message written by the author to express. Each piece of writing was a call for an understanding.


As for the narrative form, I think it is the most sincere of the writing style, the most beautiful as well. No matter how hard you try, you will never fully understand the mind of another. No matter how long the hours are, conversation may be completely empty in meaning. Omniscience of the writer is yet limited to an individual, a human. The narrative, however, is just a telling of a story. All I want to do is tell you what I saw, what I felt, what I thought, and what I have done. Though my own mind may deceive me in my recounting of events, I give you my word in that I have done my best to remain truthful to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment