Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Locked In

I visited the Youth Group lock-in couple nights ago. The seniors came earlier to make dinner for the rest of the students, maybe twenty some kids. After bowling and some games, I left to go home, while the students were to watch a movie before going to bed. Everyone seemed to have fun, so I left in good spirit.

On my way home, I thought about my past. My mother had asked that I go to the youth group in the Korean church she attended, since they were few in number. Being the foolish rebellious kid then, I had put up a bit of fight, but soon, I did as I was told.

The group got together every Friday night and learned about the Bible. Afterwards, they would hang out around the church. The group consisted of three other students and a teacher. It was not that there was a problem to the group. It was just that there were not a lot of Koreans around the neighborhood. Nonetheless, I felt like I deserved better. I had this notion that being small meant to be poor in quality. Even though I had great fun just being there, I stopped attending after several weeks.

God poured out such blessings, but I too often walked away from them. I especially felt my heart tug away at me when I thought about my teacher. She probably got nothing but stress from us, no appreciation whatsoever. I think it was from the gratitude for my teacher, for God, that I started attending youth group as a teacher myself. This group has nearly 30 students, and the church prepares appreciation meals every so often. God provides for me abundantly. How can I ever fall astray? Yet, oh, how I lack love. I guess this is the debt of love that we are to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment